View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 11:08 PM   #74
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: March 2021: 31 days game review challenge

April 1st

Today's challenge is: Recap and afterwords.

Wow, it's finally over. I've gotta admit, it was really fun to write these, though sadly, with my messed up, overloaded work schedule (I haven't had a day off since like halfway through February, with sometimes multiple shifts per day) it ended up being extremely strenuous to keep up in the second half of this challenge.

There are a few interesting things I'd like to point out. First of all, even though a lot of this was about my personal experiences with gaming in general, I haven't actually picked anything from the 5th and 6th generations, which are probably the most well represented in people of my age group, and I'm no exception to this. There are a lot Nintendo 64, Playstation 1 and 2, Xbox, Saturn and Gamecube games I could have talked about, but I guess that wasn't happening this time around (No, fuck the Dreamcast, retarded overrated console, that's it I said it, shots fired). I'll probably have to do another challenge like this with a similar set of rules, with an additional one being that I shouldn't be allowed to use any title I've used in this one, because it feels just wrong. I can tell myself that I've had a Neo Geo and a GBA game, which sort of counts for each of the missing generations, but that's not a very satisfying perspective. Plus, there isn't even a Mario game in this thing, and that was in consideration for favorite active franchise, lol. So yeah, sometime in the future, I might do this again.

Another thing that's strange to me is the genre representation in this challenge. Sure, ok, I was bound by the themes and rules and could not freely talk about everything, but it was still pretty bad. There isn't a single rhythm game in all of this, and it's my favorite genre of all time. I did have consideration for the Project Diva games for “Favorite Active Franchise”, and I would have loved to talk about the spinoff games as well, like Uta Kumi 575, IA/VT Colorful and Miracle Girls Festival, but the fact that I'm not a huge fan of Future Tone ruled it out, unfortunately. I also did mention that the game I was always coming back to could have been either Stepmania or FlashFlashRevolution, but my “no PC” rule killed those options. There are also 3 turn based RPGs (and fucking Heavy Rain), and that's just awful proportional representation of my personal interests. Finally, I also feel like I started leaning too deep into the anime games in the second half, and I know some people really dislike those, so a little more variety wouldn't have hurt.

Despite this, most of the games on this list are among my favorite games of all time, many of which were my #1 picks on whatever systems they were on, and I'm really curious to know if people who have kept up and read all of my entries have a better understanding of why I like video games and what I like in them. Speaking of this, I have gotten feedback that I was picking too many “obscure” titles from a few people, and I'm wondering if this is a problem. I don't think the majority of them are all that obscure, but very few are what you'd call “mainstream games”. I can see Cuphead and Breath of the Wild being that, with maybe Heavy Rain and Other M being slightly in that territory, and the rest being games that, say, my parents would have have never heard about. On the flipside, It's not like I only talked about unreleased prototypes and shit like that, and that's probably what some other people would have prefered reading about. At the end of the day, I was mostly putting myself through this for my own satisfaction, as it's yet another way to do something out of my general interest in video games. I still like to hear what people think, however, since that's also a super fun part of the hobby.

I also feel a little sorry that my approach to this challenge was rather inconsistent, but to be fair, I went in a little blindly. The only days I knew for sure what I was gonna write (or had anything else pre written for) were the final 5, the rest I just crammed in on a day-to-day basis. I also wanted to keep these short and easy to do daily, but that quickly went out the window. I also wish I started making gifs earlier on, since those are so much more fun to watch whenever they're appropriate, as they tell far more than still images without making people have to click links or anything. That sucks, because some of the earlier games I talked about, I would have gone far more in depth with (looking at you, Gravity Rush 2). That being said, I still feel satisfied with the end result.

Lastly, special thanks to Phil and Felix among others whose names came up many times through this challenge, and this really did put into perspective the influence you and a couple others have had in my gaming life. Most of you guys are friends I made through our shared interest in the field, and that too led me as a gamer and a human being. Y'all r0xx0r my b0xx0rz off. Can't wait to expand dong some more with you bromingos.

Again, I'm open for suggestions for whenever I decide to do something like this again, so please slide into my DMs if you have anything to suggest or if you simply wanna talk games, since that shit gets me fired up.

Hope y'all enjoyed!

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 04-1-2021 at 02:25 AM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote