View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #106
Makilaz
TWG Princess
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to Makilaz Send a message via AIM to Makilaz Send a message via MSN to Makilaz Send a message via Yahoo to Makilaz Send a message via Skype™ to Makilaz
Default Re: On the subject of Toxicity/Community Check-in (TWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I know the intent behind words matters as well, but that can't undermine the impact of the typed words themselves
intent matters for sure but it can sometimes be really difficult to determine whether it was genuine (even in the moment and regretted after the fact) or just playful banter. this game gets really heated and that's fine, but it shouldn't be an excuse for being at each others' throats

i've tended to strive towards "be excellent to each other" sort of conduct in any community i've had a position of authority in and i'd like to see that happen here too

there's also the potential for one side to mean it to be playful and non-serious and the other side sees it in the moment as genuine and takes it the wrong way. it's really fucking difficult for tone and subtlety to be conveyed in text form and misunderstandings are common. if you're about to type something that could easily be misconstrued as being more nasty than you want it to be, maybe tone it down first

eta: i'm ready and willing to back up my mod/admin credentials if needed, but i'd understand if someone else got the gig over me

eta2: when i initially came back from my long-ass hiatus i was rather intimidated at the state of the game, ngl. game threads were so much longer and more active than i was used to and just at a glance players seemed a bit meaner and inclined to snipe at one another. i powered through this and realized it was not what it seems, but coming from a standpoint of 'we need fresh blood to keep this place alive' i'm in favor of doing as much as possible to remove friction from someone new coming aboard and playing. this very much includes toning down the jabs, even playful ones. it's too easy to take that as serious if you're not already steeped in twg culture

Last edited by Makilaz; 10-20-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Makilaz is offline   Reply With Quote