View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: baq12 Singles release thread

New file added to the first post! I think this is one of my finest works in a long time!

No Boundaries:

I've actually kept this chart on the shelf for over a year, mostly because I forgot about Stepmania for months, but I also was saving this for a time when I make a big return and get motivated to step again. And I feel that this time is now. Some notes about the file.

There were many challenges that I had to overcome while charting this. I think the biggest thing was how I was going to layer each solo. Stylistically, they are very different from each other, and I wanted the arrows to represent each sort of style. For example, in the very fast section, I layered in snare with the guitar and filled in bass drum when the guitar wasn't playing fast, to add some more intensity to the section, but at the same time, not trying to over layer the section. I did that on purpose because if I was trying to layer everything in there, it would be a hot mess.

Something else to keep in mind is that I really only layered in the snare and toms in select solos. The solos that had 24th notes or faster I purposely did not layer in drums, due to past experiences with layering in snare and toms during those fast runs and they did not feel good at all. (Looking back at some of my older files, I did do that from time to time... Whoops).

The syncing was surprisingly tame this time around. Setting the beats did not take too long and there very very few times where I had to put in any sub beats (I don't think I really had to either, but I could be wrong). The guitar solos were relatively easy to do (besides the ending), but I took a lot of time judging what would make the best patterns for each part, not just to reflect the song, but to also make sure it isn't bad to hit for the player.

Finally, pattern choice. Each part of the song had a very distinct sound to it, and the overall look and patterns reflect that. As I stated earlier, the much faster section had some funky and intense patterns, while some of the more distinct and not so fast sections had very lush and nice patterns. This was to give it some variation rather than having the same thing over and over again.

Overall, this was a really time consuming file, but all the work was definitely worth it. A really fun and beautiful work. Hope you enjoy!