View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #1
XJ-9
!🤖💥👾!
Community Manager
Community ManagerGlobal ModeratorEvent StaffFFR Wiki StaffFFR Veteran

Default FFR Seasons [Suggestion]

Hey all. I thought of this idea at some point last year and I haven't seen something of this nature proposed before. I was inactive for years before 2020, so my apologies if this has been suggested in some way already. The idea is as follows:

Each player would have a separate top 100 list that resets annually. This new list would contain the best scores acquired during the respective year. Each individual score would use the same AAA equivalency formula from the lifetime top 100 list to represent your level. The overall level for a user would be representative of all 100 scores in the list. (Your overall level from this system wouldn't revolve around a top 5 or top 15 formula like the lifetime top 100.)

Purely my opinion but I suggest 100 scores because it seems like an appropriate metric for measuring the overall skill of a user in this context. (More room for different skillsets.) It relates to FFR's current lifetime leaderboard format and it hits a "Goldilocks" zone of not too many acquirable scores but not too few for a year for my taste. I also believe that it would make the most sense to use every score in the list for producing a rank of this nature even if the number wasn't 100. I'm suggesting simply averaging the individual levels for the scores involved, but I'm completely open to other formulas of generating the overall level.

The benefit of this system could be on a couple fronts. Returning (and even active) players would have a better idea on where they presently stand as this list would show their best scores as they actively play. A user can use this as another way of assessing a returning player's "actual" skill. (No more scores showing "x years ago" until the end of time.) Additionally, it creates incentive for possibly changing competition each year. (Maybe some official rewards as well?)

In short, the idea is to have a second top 100 that represents how we play "right now" compared to how others play in the same moment, and not just comparing the best scores everyone has ever gotten.

Hopefully I described the idea well enough. Thanks for reading!
XJ-9 is offline   Reply With Quote