View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #15
Not devonin
FFR Player

Default Re: Nov/Dec 2019 Set 2

Quote:
10.200 etc: song got more intense v. prior part - not sure about dropping the jumps on these like this. Fine to drop them at m16 instead imo.
My usual answer to "Why'd you just follow one part instead of layering" is "So the song's difficulty stays lower"

Quote:
13.651 etc: no reason to not have the 8th in here
That 8th is a bass drum hit though right? I'd been just following the melody at this part which is why I didn't include it, or else a bunch of the other singles would have been jumps.

Honest opinion, do you think the chart itself is improved enough by layering more into that section versus my desire to keep things simple/following melody/lower difficulty? I can do it if you think it makes like...an objectively better chart, but if it's just a preference for more layering, I tend to want to keep it simple.

Quote:
23.701: [12] pr?
[12] would be pr for the preceding section since it's lower in pitch than the last jump of the preceding part before the pause, but was made a [12] in order to be pr as the -start- of the -next- section of six jumps that end on a lower pitch than that. If you've got some insight as to how to restructure the second set to start from a [12] and stay pr and flowing, I'd happily change it up, but the range of pitches didn't feel like I could do the whole multi-phrase part in proper pr, so I split it up between the long pause and sort of "reset" the pr if that makes sense?

Quote:
28.502: slightly awkward for this to be the lonely soul with no partner
Hehe, lonely soul. I like it. This is another case of me going "not sure how to keep this PR and jumps" since the [12] goes -up- to [14] so the only ways I could make it go back down would be [34] or [23] and those both caused a double hit on an arrow that I was trying to avoid, but it definitely does seem more out of place to be a single than to have two consecutive hits on 4 so I'll add that in

Quote:
55.654: yeet
woot

Quote:
66.604: PR on these 4th jumps - strictly descending
I've been using [14] as like, an overflow for when I come up against [34] and need to go higher. What's the like...accepted way to go one above [34] and back down better? Does it mitigate the weirdness here that I did it in a few other places as well?

Quote:
93.607: I want to say that this should be 4 16ths arrows too (like the previous), given how the bursts have gradually been building up and this one is exactly the same musically sa the previous
Done, fixed.

Quote:
94.507: make this a 2 for pr
Are you sure? I listened to it again, and it sounds definitely lower than the 2 before it.

Quote:
110.333: you can definitely make this 4 arrows now, and the last one after this too.
Or, even better: just don't make that one burst the only 4 arrow long one - it doesn't seem special musically to me
Quote:
I also note that in your comments you were chiefly concerned about the bursts, but what you have is fine. The 12ths are synced close enough when leading into 4ths, and the 16ths after the 4ths are fine too. For newer players I wouldn't even be super concerned about that, honestly. I'd say just remove the 8th at the end of the only 4-note burst you have (it's kind of a ghost anyway, if you listen to it on a low rate the sound ends before we hit the 8th).
By "that one burst" do you mean the one at 1:45.300? I feel like I can definitely hear 4 notes in there versus 3 in the others, but my ear is not necessarily the best at that. I pulled it out and it still basically feels fine, so I'll put in the change!

Quote:
Nice easy file! Thanks for stepping TORLEY - he's underrated and how we don't have more files by him is a fiffer community crime.
Thanks, I completely agree, though altogether we actually have what...13 of his songs? They're just mostly under Torley Wong instead of TORLEY but yes, I have a few more tracks of his in mind to also submit.

Thanks much for the comments and time, and hopefully if you are willing, some responses to my questions/confusions above

Last edited by Not devonin; 03-12-2020 at 04:58 PM..