EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Official Tournament 13 Batch Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
Judge: TC_Halogen

Forgotten (EzExZeRo7497) [8/10]
Song Artist: The Ghost of 3.13 -- Perms: OK

- two mp3 files and two SM files; ensure these issues are fixed for future submissions - thankfully this one was easy given that they have the same date modifications
- the idea of increasing note color by halving the BPM is an acceptable idea, but it does make pieces of the chart have blue-note syndrome -- though thankfully, the pace of the song makes it not the most glaring thing in the world
- 25.597: I really like this pattern; I feel like you could get a perfect representation visually by only having the first and third notes colored, but this definitely works well
- overall, accuracy in structure and rhythms are solid - though there are some very minute issues dispersed throughout; some examples:
--- 15.758: this kick should be a 64th later
--- 27.037: this short buzz isn’t quite right; it’s both short like earlier instances but also ignores an actual percussive overtone just a moment later at 27.187
--- 30.157: technically the notes in this trill should be delayed a 64th; not a huge deal
--- 30.427: this and the next 32nd should be 16ths
--- 32.557: another instance where it should be delayed a 64th
--- 36.757: this is a cutoff cymbal; might need a bit more emphasis than a single note
--- etc.
- 1:20.797: missing triple for cymbal crash
- 1:27.757: ^; there are other instances of cutoff crashes that have a similar intensity as the missing ones that aren’t accented and there doesn’t seem to be some deliberate avoidance in place as there are instances of 16ths colliding right into them in other places
- 1:42.157: definitely feel like a better pattern choice could be applied here
- solid file, could use some minor structural improvements but by no means is this unacceptable
Thanks for the notes. I actually resent Forgotten about 15 minutes before this thread was made because I saw that there were duplicate files when I was trying to update the chart. I actually wanted to apply a fix to it, but I messed up really badly and forgot to replace the files in the folder for some reason. The newer submission shouldn't have those duplicate files, but it's no big deal since the changes were very minor anyway.

25.597: The bursts here are 20ths, so most of the non-grey notes here are unintentional. I can definitely shift some colours around to make the first and third notes coloured, but I'm kinda skeptical about how this burst would turn out to begin with and I don't really want to aggravate it further.

minute errors:
15.758: Definitely, my bad for overlooking this.
27.037: I feel that the percussive overtone is a bit too muted to be layered in general. I wasn't able to pick it up on 0.9-1.0, at least. Maybe there's a more appropriate way of capturing that percussive overtone, but I don't think that layering would be a good idea in general. I think I'll just make the burst a note longer and offset the last 24th. Not that much of a change and follows the song more accurately.
30.157: Almost every consecutive set of 16th bass kicks is actually supposed to be offset by a 64th in some capacity. I chose not to do it because I felt that it would make the chart a bit visually homogeneous in general. Given your comment here, I assume that it's not that much of an issue, but I wanted to give my thought process behind using 16ths here regardless.
30.427: I forgot to fix this lol, sorry about that.
32.557: same as 30.157
36.757: I overlooked this, thank you.
I saw a few other errors like this, and those are fixed. I'll make further updates as I go through it again. Almost all of the offset bass kicks were already layered in the second half thankfully.

1:20.797: There's a cymbal crash for sure, but I think I omitted this because I felt that the cymbal crash here was too soft relative to the other sounds around it. Using a triple here would be especially jarring given that the other sounds (1:16.717, 1:18.637) that were layered as triples are significantly more salient.

1:27.757: I agree with this one because I think the sounds surrounding it are pretty soft.

All of the cymbal crashes that you're likely pointing out are soft enough where I feel iffy layering them as triples in general (some snares are louder than them), so I end up layering them by feel (or at least, relative to how loud the other sounds surrounding it). A good portion of them ends up being doubles because of the sounds surrounding them. A more aggressive approach would just be to layer anything that's a cymbal crash a triple, but I feel that that creates overly aggressive anchoring and would clash with the lighter but still aggressive approach to the chart. So there is some deliberate avoidance there, but it's not particularly systematic. I'm not sure if there's even a systematic way to go about it because I think the perception of the cymbal crashes really highly depend on the sounds surrounding it unfortunately, and there are many types of sounds surrounding those soft crashes.

That said, I've tried to incorporate a few more cymbal crashes towards the latter half of the chart. Thanks for the heads up.

1:42.157: Not sure of what you mean here, do you just mean pattern configuration? In any case, I tried to fix the PR on this and accenting the last 4 notes with a trill to emphasise the percussion there. I didn't realise how wrong my PR was but I usually never do anyway.

edit: Fixes sent.

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 06-9-2020 at 09:47 PM..