Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #175
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to justaguy
Default Re: Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
"Well it's pretty obvious they were planning on taking their own life anyways. Why not immortalize yourself as a monster instead of a nobody?"

I can understand being suicidal and wanting to go out saying 'fuck you' to somebody or the world. But that's not the same as wanting people to know that YOU did it. Wanting people to know you seems incongruent with my view of suicidal people. Like, if you're going to kill yourself, you've given up on being a somebody. And of course, if you WANT attention, would you not also want to be around to experience it?
The personality that would do something terrible for attention seems far more likely to be a serial killer.

"before: "oh man I'm gonna kill a ton of people today and people all around the world will know my name"

after: "oh my god I just killed a ton of people and I'm going to get a death sentence or life in prison (and get killed in prison)"

Well this implies loss of control over thoughts and actions such that they weren't able to conceive the impact of their actions while doing it and that after shooting up the place is when they suddenly got back to 'normal'. It's a possibility, but I wouldn't bet that was what happened.

The way I see it, someone does that for the societal shock, not for the personal attention. And of course media impacts that hugely, but something like never releasing killers names wouldn't change all the coverage of it.
ok i just wanna say both choofers are u are wrong. he never had a second thought about whether or not hes going to be in prison or get death sentence or w/e, he accepted that he needed to die after. the point is to get the last word, which he did. it's very basic and fundamental. try not to dig below the surface. he wanted people to know he did it, and with the current state of school shootings in the media he knew it would happen. there is no further hypothesizing necessary. it is personal attention, he wanted to appear godlike, which the media inevitably portrayed ofc. societal shock is collateral.

edit: dont respond with a wall of text