View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 10:49 PM   #56
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: why do people hate on osu!mania??

serious comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
o!m the game is shit because their charting/mapping meta is boring farm bait garbage
osu the community is shit for two reasons: young sheltered anime avatar morons and groomers who target young sheltered anime avatar morons
The o!m charting meta primarily hasn't been boring farm bait garbage in years barring a small circle of people who make content for the ranked section. It seems to have fizzled out or at least delegated into a much smaller circle than it used to be. I think it has a lot to do with how older charters have been phasing out of osu!mania, but there are still people (primarily in Asian circles) taking influence from those older mappers or were taught by them.

It's obviously hard to summarise the charting meta of one giant rhythm game because every circle is so segregated, but the circles that I've mostly been observing focus a lot on "technical" charting that either focus a lot on visual emphasis (through the use of LNs, minijacks, and grace notes particularly, and bursts to a smaller extent), and/or enforcing a very strict sense of consistency through very consistent use of the same types of chords for specific sounds/types of percussion throughout. A lot of charts in that circle utilise a lot of LN emphasis to accentuate more details in the song as well. The charts in general are also relatively lightly layered if you take out the LNs in the charts. Their song choice has been more or less the same over the past few years though.

Dump charting in that circle follows very similar principles of trying to follow as many details as possible through the use of broken rhythms (e.g. bursts, gallops, and grace notes) rather than continuous rhythms.

I personally dislike that circle's style of mapping mostly because I think they focus way too much on visual emphasis in almost every capacity (dump charting or not) and way too little on how a chart plays, many patterns end up feeling as if they're too broken to play through or they lack the appropriate emphasis required to accent some rhythm kinaesthetically. There seems to be an absurd emphasis over how a chart looks and how it's structured rather than how a chart is played, far more than any other community. I do think that a lot of it has to do with the average skill level of a charter in that community (not all that high), but I'm not sure. Regardless, I can't say that that criticism is particular to that o!m charting circle.

That said, the o!m community is indeed pretty shitty because of the number of really dumb and occasionally malicious young sheltered people with anime avatars. This also includes some of the charting community. The groomers don't help too!

I do think that there are a lot of valid reasons to dislike osu!mania in general, either as an engine, as a community (or the people who are higher up), or in terms of charting approach in general. In general I do find the interface of just uploading a chart for people to try to be the most convenient part of it all and is my main reason for creating content for osu!mania.

Last edited by Wiosna; 06-29-2021 at 10:54 PM..
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote