View Single Post
Old 11-1-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Classical Music Attribution

I like the idea of organizing classical music more, but I worry the proposal is being way too technical. For instance, there are songs whose names will be changed too drastically, like Molto Vivace, which has been known as such for so long that I'd say it would actually be a really bad decision to change it now. Also, a lot of these names get really technical to the point where songs basically have several ID numbers attached to them, numbers which don't provide any useful info to someone who isn't a scholar of classical music.

I mean, honestly, ""Rondo Alla Turca" Sonata No.11 K331 Mvt.3 v2"? That's too long to show up in its entirety in the song menu (keep in mind it's very important that the v2 is shown in a clear place to distinguish the versions of the song), and the extra numbers and data essentially mean nothing to someone who isn't a scholar of Mozart's classical repertoire. From my point of view, "Rondo Alla Turca" is the common name of the song, and "Sonata No.11 K331 Mvt.3" is just information about the song's style and origins, which can be easily looked up with a Google search for anyone who's interested. If you're going to include all that lookup data you might as well write "Toxiferous Dystopia NG115042 Op.10 (cut)" too. But if you really want to include information like that, it would probably be better to put it in with the author (e.g.: "Mozart (No.11 K331 Mvt.3) pf. Philip Glass") or the Song Style field (e.g.: "Classical - No.11 K331 Mvt.3").
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote