View Single Post
Old 08-2-2021, 05:09 PM   #1313
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

Day 868: Happier Than Ever by Billie Eilish

Y'know I've already been weirded out for a long while that there are musicians reaching their glory days that are younger than me, but now we've reached the point that they're younger than my little BROTHER?!

Well, actually, considering this is her second album, this isn't a new phenomenon. Pretty sure she's not even the first artist to be born post-mid 2001 to gain a huge following amongst whatever music crowd, from the radio pop listeners to the fake RateYourMusic hipsters to the true "I primarily listen to traditional Kecak chants from Indonesia or field recordings of northern Greenland" hipsters. When she first came on the scene, I thought her music was garbage, but I've gotta be honest, the white club-loving girl in me thinks that Bad Guy is a total bop. And she was great when she featured on that Denzel Curry song... HOLY SHIT THAT WAS 2018?! Why am I getting old so fast? Why is coronavirus ruining my chance at living in the moment? Why did I get myself stuck in a toxic relationship for nearly a year? Why am I not applying any of the skills I learned in grad school at my current underpaying job?

Actually, that last sentence was a lie, I didn't learn shit from grad school. Okay so anyways, I come in here acknowledging my previous bias, but also acknowledging that she's proven she can make a good bop for the dance floor, and she truly does have a pleasant singing voice when she's featuring on other people's tracks. This album? It's a total mixed bag and way too long. All the attempts at making similar club-friendly tracks here? For the most part, they fucking suck. THEY FUCKING SUCK. When things are quiet and more emotionally honest, it's a pleasant listen, though I don't think there was a single moment during this album I found to be truly amazing. The production is slick, but mostly unmemorable. I can imagine superfans will think this is the greatest album ever made, but me? I find it hard to have much of a strong opinion at all. Once again, like I've said in a million other reviews, this shit is okay, even good most of the time, but practically never great. And some of those attempts at making bangers really do suck out the ass.

Anyways, I should hit the gym. And fix my insurance so I can get therapy. And start meditating.

Best Track: The title track or My Future
Rating: 5.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote