View Single Post
Old 10-2-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Xapti
FFR Player

Default Font sizing at flashflashrevolution.com

Just a heads up to the admins who work on the site:
You're sizing text with pixels on virtually all pages, including the main page, and profile pages.
What's the problem with sizing pages with pixels? numerous:

First of all, Internet explorer, for some dumb reason, does not change text size when you change the text size option under the view menu. It is virtually impossible for the user to view it at any other font size than what you specified.

Secondly, specifying the base font-size (of any value/units, let alone using pixels) at all is not a good idea, since it should use the browser's default size, so that it will run what size the user is comfortable with, instead of having to dynamically change it every time they visit the page (since other than IE, it doesn't remember font size once you close the session)

Now you may wonder what's wrong with not having variable font size, who cares if it's the same pixel size for everyone? The answer is that people are running at various resolutions. Some people's monitors are running at 3 Megapixels or more (2048x1600), while other's may be running 800x600, which isn't even half a Megapixel.
This results in pretty big physical text size for low resolutions, and really tiny text size for high resolutions. The difference can be greater than a factor of 3!

The resolution issue is for people with good eyesight. But even someone running at the currently most common resolution (around 1-1.2 Mpx) may have problems if their eyesight is poor.

I hope I proved my point and that you can implement more flexible CSS styles.
Xapti is offline   Reply With Quote