Old 08-5-2019, 01:53 AM   #129
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: D8 Deb8

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Yeah my takeaway is that we reward top 8s with the really cool thing, and of the 21 people in top 3s, 11, over half, were outside the top 8 going in, and 17/21 were outside the top 3.
Sure, but from my point of view this is less a measure a success of the divisional system and more of a measure that it's not a catastrophic failure, as if every division went 1-2-3 there would be little point to even holding a tournament in the first place.

What I've been trying to get at is that starting from the bottom of a division effectively ends your tournament before it even begins, at least from the perspective of winning/placing high, with very few exceptions (like Jota.) This is compounded by Dingleberry's point about the winners of OTs usually having advanced out of their division by the end of the tournament--maybe a low D5 player can reach high D5 by the end of the tournament, but in that time, the high D5 players will be in mid D6. Having to overcome a gap of nearly an entire division before you can even reach parity with the front runners in your division, let alone start leading the charge yourself, is almost an insurmountable obstacle. That's why I don't think the divisional system as it stands today is doing its job, if that job is to place each contestant in a bracket that they have a chance to win.

RenegadeLucien is offline   Reply With Quote