View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #1245
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

Day 830: Roadrunner: New Light, New Machine by Brockhampton

Apparently nowadays all the kids on TikTok are saying shit "omg my Brockhampton phase ewwwww" and you know what? Fuck them. To this day, I still think Saturation II/III absolutely slap and are loaded to the brim with bangers, capture many different moods quite perfectly and most of all gave us some of the most enjoyable cuts to shout along to with your friends. Does that make me super white? Maybe (although most of the fans of this band that I've ended up meeting have been POC women) but I don't care.

However, I will say that since 2017 when these guys were the hot new thing (god, I can't believe it's been nearly 4 years since the summer of these guys and Flower Boy, take me back indeed) pretty much everything they've dropped has been garbage. There's been good cuts here and there but none of their album projects really stuck with me (iridescence actually got WORSE upon further listens) and I was wondering if they were running out of steam, or if the expulsion of Ameer Vann did something to throw the group chemistry out of whack, even though he wasn't that interesting of a rapper.

Anyways, this album is surprisingly good! I think waiting two years to drop it did them well, as it is a bit front-loaded but in general is surprisingly consistent, with only two or three songs really doing nothing for me or worse (typically when they lean more into that "boy band" sound they're trying to ditch) and some of the best cuts rival the best shit they did at their peak. I'm not amazed by this album, but I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it is. Also, having features permeate throughout for the first time ever was a VERY smart move. The features often dominate over the actual group members (wassup Danny Brown) but in reality, who cares if it makes for better music? And even when the track isn't good, sometimes the features give it a bit more value (I'm not a fan of I'll Take You On but Charlie Wilson definitely adds some much needed flair to it).

Okay, I really need to get to finishing this assignment due tonight.

Best Track: Buzzcut or The Light
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote