View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #77
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Which Rhythm Game are you from? and how did you get here

My first rhythm game was Stepmania in September 2004 right when the DDR 8th mix came out. I remember introducing the game to irl friends, but I ended up being the only one that kept playing. I found FFR while looking up songs for Stepmania. That is because FFR used to have a Simfile Database which is no longer here.

When O2Jam came out in February 2005, it shifted my attention away from Stepmania/FFR for a bit until I got stuck at lvl36 because I had to pay to get rings for a challenge. That singlehandedly led me to quit O2Jam, but I still played songs once in a while. I remember playing FFR as a guest for nearly a year at first and eventually joined in July 2005. Back in the day, I was playing Tales of Phantasia and thought Dhaos was a cool boss name so, I swapped it into Xhaos. Eventually, I figured Xhaos looked kinda similar to ThaoR and I didn't like it so, I spent some time thinking at something a bit more unique and went for Hakulyte. That is why Hakulyte is technically my 2nd account. I was watching Naruto at that point, but I was also part of a guild in Ragnarok Online which ultimately led me toward this. Guild master was Zabuza and I was like the coleader, but "Haku" was taken so, I went with Hakulyte and kept that for FFR as well.

Anyway back in 2004~2008, I kept rotating Stepmania/FFR/O2Jam all the time until Osu came out. I got top 200 in the osu circle mode using a mouse and then quit when people started playing with tablets and crushing leaderboards. I wasn't particularly good, it's just that the level back in 2008 was a lot lower. I also broke 3 mouse in that process and it made me not want to come back (spinners are mouse breakers). I tried Osumania and despite liking LNs in O2Jam, I didn't like them in Osumania. I kept getting misses all the time when releasing keys and it never clicked. I guess I can only do this with screencut or a slower speed and all the scrolling space threw me off. It didn't matter if I could AAA everything else, I felt like that ruined my fun overall. Somewhere along these times I also played Audition, Bandmaster and Guitar Hero 3, but didn't particularly get anything worth mentioning in these games.

When it comes to Stepmania, I made it in the top 50 on stepmaniaonline.net but ended up slowly moving more toward FFR. Note that this top 50 is also based on something similar to grandtotal. Anyway, I prefered how FFR had a static song list and technically speaking a "end game". I really liked how I didn't need to download anything and how I could quit and come back at any point easily.

I also played a ton of non-rhythm games and rhythm games for me have always been like some "side game" to play between 2 games. I don't play instruments and I'm not particularly into music either. You would think maybe I'm more on the coding/developing side of things, but that's not really the case either. I just wanted to see FFR slowly get rid of its flaws one by one and hopefully eventually reach the point where I can't think of anything that can be improved.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote