View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 2: If You Wait by London Grammar (Album Choice: Trevor P)

One album down and a missed day already. Jesus Christ. Well hey, I promised it wouldn't be that formal. This time I'm actually gonna look up the album.

How's this for an introduction? London Grammar is a three-piece. They have a singer, percussionist/keyboardist and guitarist. Why do so many modern bands disrespect the bass? This album is about the singer's troubled teenage yearah fuck this let's just listen. Regular version no deluxe eff that.

So, to go off on a tangent, today I was panhandling with some other people and I learned Ray J makes babies cry. I didn't bother asking for his autograph because only an asshole would make babies cry deliberately.

But seriously, sing some 12-bar blues and nobody really cares, including babies. Sing I Hit It First in the presence of infants and they will cry.

Especially if the person singing is Ray J.

So according to my 20-second research the vocals got all the praise but after these first two tracks, I'm giving my praise to that liquid guitar tone. I have a headache so I'm paying literally zero attention to lyrics. How good can lyrics about teenage years be, "I fell in love, drank a lot, that loser broke my heart, drank in a less social context". The end. The vocals are pretty strong, I'll say that. Not really to my taste but I can see why they picked up praise. Since when does Spotify have consecutive ads? And since when does not reading books equate to becoming a creepy cat lady. It's not like those things are mutually exclusive. 5 tracks down, maybe I'll start paying more attention.

I didn't pay any more attention. I do notice that this album has too many piano ballads. And there doesn't seem to be much variety in the album outside of those ballads. Everything is pretty formulaic and samey. Fluid guitar lines, keyboard playing the bass parts or a trip hop drum beat, and those low, almost operatic vocals... I can see why this is tumblrcore (I'm just assuming it is based on the recommendation). When they change it up, it really doesn't make much of an impact, at all. Flickers adds in tribal drums and male backup vocals, and it still feels the same. And the album ends with another piano ballad. Wowee.

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to really write a review. But damnit I have a headache. This album didn't increase that headache nor soothe it. It was really samey. By default I'm giving it a middle of the road rating.

Best Track: I said I didn't pay any goddamn attention
Rating: 5/10

Now it's time for some headache curing food and some Boards of Canada and I'm gonna be HG HJHG HAAAALL right! Then the next album.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 06-17-2014 at 09:26 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote