View Single Post
Old 12-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Standardizing Difficulty Ratings

As difficulty is subjective you do need a starting point and we have a pretty good one with the current difficulty consultants but there aren't nearly enough of them.

The proper way of doing this would be to assign a range of difficulties to groups of players with a given skill rating "X" to judge. The range of difficulties a player should judge would be X ± 10 although this number could vary depending on how anal you want to be.

Take me for example. My skill rating is 99.58 (round it to 100) thus I ought to be able to judge charts accurately within the 90-110 range from easiest to hardest. Of course I have some bias towards some charts over others, that's why more players assigned to each interval are necessary.

From there you would order charts within the ranges from easiest to hardest. The question then becomes where does a 100 turn into a 101 etc. which is why the standards in the OP are necessary.

The above is the ideal case and I know we haven't the number of volunteers to manage this task so we're left with a two-step solution which I believe is the current one:

1) A smaller group of players judge charts, some of the charts will be outside of their interval of competence. Also, there would be more bias as there are less judges.

2) After a chart is in-game for a time and enough scoring data is accumulated, difficulties can be fine-tuned to fit to the data.

All the above being said, I will give this some thought and perhaps make a list of standards but I do think there are some qualities that ought to be considered when choosing:

-Song length (avoid anything too long or too short)
-Difficulty spikes (these are a huge no-no as then the chart is prone to flukey scores)
-Pattern bias (avoid charts that focus on one skill only, jacks, trills, rolls, etc.)
-Stamina (avoid charts that obtain most of their difficulty from being draining. This one is tricky but I think a good example is Hyper Weaboo Vodka Shots [100]. If you look at the scores for this one, you'll note that they drop off severely with skill rating and it's due to stamina. It's hard to articulate but I hope that makes sense.)

Last edited by Dynam0; 12-16-2020 at 06:25 PM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote