View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #40
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Rock/Metal Album Reviews | 1 Year Challenge

IM BACK IM SORRY I HAVENT DONE ANYTHING, IVE BEEN BUSY WITH AP TESTS BUT NOW IM DONE SO THESE SHOULD HAPPEN MORE REGULARLY STARTING HOPEFULLY THIS SATURDAY

Album #6

Meshuggah - ObZen (Suggested by Gradiant)

Tracklist:

1. Combustion
2. Electric Red
3. Bleed
4. Lethargica
5. ObZen
6. This Spiteful Snake
7. Pineal Gland Optics
8. Pravus
9. Dancers To A Discordant System

Talk about metal. Meshuggah is fucking awesome. The level of technicality, the headbangable rhythm, and brutal vocal work, the ridiculously downtuned instruments, it's just too strong.

The album starts out strong with Combustion, which has, as I mentioned earlier, a great rhythm to headbang/windmill to. Aside from that however, the song does great transitioning between loud and heavy, and soft and tense. Electric Red has some nasty rhythms done by the instruments. The yelling/growling, powerful as always, are prominent in this one. Ahhh, Bleed, easy their most well known song, and rightfully so. Bleed's rhythms are fucking difficult as all shit, but are sooooo good. I literally can't help myself to at least nodding my head and tapping me feet. The intensity pushed out by Bleed puts it up as my favorite of the album.

Lethargica has a lot more energy than the name suggests. It's considerably slower than the preceding song, but in no way is it relaxed. It's at a great speed for shit to go down, especially at a concert. The vocals just add to the intensity. The mid-song slow down was a nice surprise, calming the song down while using dissident pitches to create an eerie tension until the heavy guitar and bass drum kick back in. The title track, ObZen, is another of my favorites from the album, with another great and extremely tricky rhythm, intense yelling, and overall great work from the instruments.

The vocals are the highlight of This Spiteful Snake, both in being the main focus of the song and the best part. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Same applies to Pineal Gland Optics. I particularly liked the drums in PGO. The pace quickens with Pravus, bringing some high intensity drums and vocals to keep it going. The breakdown towards the end is fantastic. Finally, Dancers To A Discordant System starts out oddly quiet, proceeding into what seemed initially as random, unrelated notes (likely to add to the effect of the "Discordant System"), only finally come with the heavy instrumentation. While the song isn't one of my favorites, it was definitely a good way to end the album.

Meshuggah is fucking awesome. If you listen to some really heavy shit, and you don't know who Meshuggah is, you are seriously missing out. These guys are fucking metal. I intend on listening to this album a few more times on top of some of their others.

★★★★★★★★☆☆ 8 - Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote