View Single Post
Old 09-1-2020, 04:27 PM   #12
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Stock Market Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirryWoo View Post
Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts about the possibility of policy makers manipulating the gains/losses of the stock market? There was some talk earlier this year about how that could have played a motivating role in the U.S.'s slow response to COVID-19. Excluding inflated death rates current in the U.S., are there some potential ramifications associated from this collusive effort assuming that was true?
i have no doubt that policy makers are pushing SOME sort of agenda, it's just that the general public (including you and me) don't know exactly what it is. people always say the stock market is looking forward, and i get that - but sometimes it blows my mind that a 30% GDP contraction hasn't done much to the stock market in general.

i think the problem here is that the businesses that are going out of business are not publically traded ones, or companies even. and the big name companies that have a plethora of cash to plow through COVID with will just end up buying up / soaking up all the competition and business that previously other consumers went to.

on the topic of collusive efforts, if the republican party doesn't win.. you damn well know they'll try their damnest to crash the market so they can put the blame on the dems. and if the republicans win, they'll probably just keep the charade going for as long as possible and then blame the eventual downfall on the dems.

if the dems win, they'll do the same to keep their image up.. blah blah..

the potential ramification is that, at some point, the market will call the feds' bluff and finally we'll see the effects on the real market. you can see knee jerk reactions happening in the gold/dollar exchange every time somebody like jerome powell speaks, the spokesperson for the one policymaking entity that everybody has their eyes on right now.