View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #27
fido123
FFR Player

Default Re: So I got a virus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I'd agree that 99% of viruses are written for windows and therefore wouldn't work on a mac. Mac avoids a lot of problems like viruses by limiting the things you are able to do to your own operating system. You have no control over your PC and there you go. Virus resistant OS.
This is pretty inaccurate. When I go into a Mac store, I go on a computer, open up terminal, and since by default you're on the root account when you're set up as admin (which most people are), and there's no password for it anyway so you can tell the computer you're admin in the command line, I simply type in:

rm -rf /*

OS X now needs to be re-installed to work properly. I can embed a shell script into a picture and have it run when you open it, and if you're already on the root account, it'll happen. OS X really isn't secure rather than not many people caring to mess it up. The OS X Terminal is the same as BSD UNIX's pretty much, and you can do just as much on it, just running on a different kernel and some other restrictions, but the OS is still pretty flexible compared to Windows.

Also IMO about if you're just going on Facebook and stuff...obligatory convert people to using Ubuntu post as it is REALLY good for stuff like this by being as secure as hell while not having to configure anything. Don't even have to install drivers.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote