View Single Post
Old 11-3-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Renevatia
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Beginner coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
I very highly second this. For someone who is learning programming, I am against Visual Basic only because the syntax is actually somewhat anomalous compared to other programming languages (your typical semi-colons and closing brackets cause syntax errors in VB!?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31 View Post
I'd recommend C sharp. It's like Java but better in most ways. And if you want to make simple GUIs, you can use something like Microsoft Visual Studio which lets you just drag and drop common controls from a toolbox onto a form directly, and then generate all the code to make it look like that for you. So you can just write the code under the scenes that does what you want it to without having to do all the annoyingly hard GUI coding.

Java can do a similar thing if you download the Netbeans IDE. It lets you make a swing GUI pretty easily but the drawback here is that almost every company is going to try to tell you how bad swing is and they're not going to use it, but it's still a good place to start if you don't care about that stuff. And you can get Netbeans for free and start making these things, unlike any good way I know of doing an equivalent for C sharp.
Got any pointers as where is a good place to start with C#? Book or online sources. How come C# instead of C++?