Old 04-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
XJ-9
!🤖💥👾!
Community Manager
Community ManagerGlobal ModeratorEvent StaffFFR Wiki StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Seasons [Suggestion]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I think an additional touch could be a somewhat-regularly changing pool of charts available to be played for this "seasonal" ranking. This would serve to discourage just grinding the same charts you would otherwise grind and help newer charts get more exposure.
That would be a good way of ensuring a wide variety of skillsets are involved each year and I love the idea of giving different charts exposure. The only thing is I would like to see people of all tiers play what they are comfortable with at the same time, so they can see where they stand at their current best compared to all active players. It'd basically have to be like the tier point system but equally catering towards players in tier 1 through tier 8. (So 12-13 songs that fall within the tier 1 level range, again for tier 2, etc.) I know tier 0 is a thing but I don't know if it would be worthwhile to involve people below tier 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Something to this effect has been suggested occasionally ever since large numbers of files started going in the game each year, i.e. since 2007

The answer is always something like, "yeah that sounds cool and sorta makes sense but also sounds like a lot of work that nobody is ever going to do"
It's at least good to know that there's been a demand for something like this for awhile. My first round of constant activity was from the end of 2004 towards the first half of 2012 and I honestly can't remember anything similar being talked about. It'd be interesting to see what the devs may have said specifically towards previous suggestions. All of the devs we have today have been great from my interactions, so I'm hopeful for a fair response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroArtisan View Post
It could be a great way for the public to gauge which files are most popular and to see how the active userbase are faring on said files. I like to compare the present to the present personally, if i wanna see what I and others did the better half of a decade ago I'd just look at the current leaderboards. Which is a great thing and all, but it might feel more engaging and competitive for players to have a seasonal leaderboard where only scores within a set time frame are accounted for, I think.
This makes me want to mention a nice effect from this system. Though it wouldn't completely negate the affect of alts skewing the ranks over the year, having it reset after every year makes that impact less significant. I know you can manually report alts for removal on our current lifetime leaderboard, but having an automatic wipe helps stem a buildup over time. This annual top 100 should contain the option for manual reporting like our lifetime top 100, and it could possibly be more strict about monitoring for alts. (Not to punish people; just to remove their alts from the rankings. Self-reporting of alts would be encouraged.)

It's probably not as big of an issue with our current active userbase on newer files, but on a lot of older files you can really see how the same alts can throw your rank off. This of course has a greater impact the lower your ranking. You feel more of that present competition when you're more assured that your rank is being compared to unique accounts. I don't want to discourage people from using alts to play FFR since it's a viable way of playing in different ways, but I also don't want that to reflect on this system.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.
XJ-9 is offline   Reply With Quote