View Single Post
Old 07-7-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
danceflashrevo
scumfan is scared of aa
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Really Weird Issue With A Computer That I Don't Know How To Fix

Oh wow thanks for all the responses so quick guys, I was gone for a bit so lemme respond to each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenorosth View Post
Mind right clicking on the wifi icon and troubleshooting? Give the error that gives. That might help. It may be a DNS issue.
It doesn't see anything wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry
Check device manager, go to properties and check the hardware ID.

I had an issue one time where I had a knock off xbox360 controller, I had to manually change the hardware ID to the same hardware ID as a real xbox controller in the registry to get games to recognize it lol.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...dor-device-id/

Just check in the details tab for something thats off. Perhaps your USB drivers are out of date? Is it USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? There could be alot of factors, perhaps it only works on the correct type of usb port and the laptop coincidentally has though.

I'd say look at device manager though. If anything, compare how it appears on your laptop and your desktop.

Tech support 101 in troubleshooting is to logically think of what may be causing the issue. You have a working computer and one that doesn't work, so you can make comparisons and see what differs.

EDIT: Also, slightly unrelated but you should have gotten a powerline adapter. Makes the ethernet go through the power in the wall yo: https://www.google.ca/search?q=powerline%20adapter

EDIT 2: I also want to add, please tell me what you mean by "and none of them "work" with the USB adapter.". What do you mean it doesn't "work"? The computer doesn't detect it at all when its plugged in, it's not able to let you connect etc.
I'll check that hardware ID thing in a sec. Drivers are completely up to date, I made sure. It had worked on my computer before so I don't think it's a USB compatibility issue. It's 2.0. I'll make comparisons once I hook the computer up again. The powerline thing looks really cool, I wish someone would've told me about that when I was building my computer a year ago lmfao. And sorry for not clarifying, when I mean "not working" I mean it appears to be working and it connects and has great signal and connection regardless of USB port but none of them give me internet. I guess since I got .4 down in safe mode my downspeed is hella limited, perhaps that would be a better way to look at it instead of completely off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshl
do you have hamachi (caused problems similar to what you've described, and uninstalling completely helped)
I used to, I actually forgot to add to my story, because of these problems I have completely reinstalled Windows in my escapades of trying to figure out the problem, so there are no outside programs except for like... Skype, but that's not causing the problem because I had tested my internet before I installed Skype, also safe mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de
Try changing what channel the wifi is being broadcast on. You can download an app for your smart phone called "wifi analyzer" and I believe it recommends which channel to use.

Heres a video that helped me out quite a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgfoGg-g9Sc&t=4m20s
I will look at that if I see no differences in device manager for the adapter between the two computers. Also funny to note that your timestamp is at 4:20.

Why are you here?
danceflashrevo is offline   Reply With Quote