View Single Post
Old 01-5-2020, 05:50 PM   #53
chooby
FFR Player

Default Re: Rap is technically music

good job making a thread so fucking stupid it made me make an alt account just so I could post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
while it fits the technical definition of music I don't really consider it music there's probably not enough pitch for me to call it music
the fact that you use "pitch" as a means to disregard rap is extra hilarious given that you start off by saying "technical definition of music" when it's paaaaaainfully clear that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. like devonin (???) already posted, the idea that rap isn't music is pretty exclusively held by boomers or racists. I would also go further and say that most people who consider rap to not be music probably have an incredibly skewed and incredibly narrow expectation of what music is. I doubt your average boomer knows who elaine radigue is, or stockhausen.

so I'm hoping here that you're just an ignorant idiot open to be educated on what music is, and not some idiot who's parroting conservative talking points on a subject that you clearly don't know anything about, ala ben shapiro (who effectively holds the same argument you do about rap but doesn't even consider it to fit the "technical definition of music..." whatever the fuck that is)

youtube.com/watch?v=_3utH8Nm_D4

if you have the time, I strongly recommend watching this video. not only does it debunk your boomer idea of what music is, it turns the argument that music needs pitch into a steelman and THEN debunks your boomer idea of what music is.

when you say "not enough" pitch, what do you mean by "not enough?" can you link a piece of music that's on the line of not enough and just enough pitch? would you consider ambient music or drone music to not have enough pitch? what about a drum solo, where there's obviously little to no pitch at all? is that not musical, since it doesn't have enough pitch? even some of the music used in ffr has very little pitch. venetian snares, hello? fuckin atomhead? what do you even mean by pitch? melody? melody can be found in spades in rap, especially in recent years since a lot of modern rappers also sing on their tracks. harmony? harmony can be easily found in the synthesizers or samples used in beats.

and if we're talking about "technical definitions," there are loooooads of styles of music sitting near the thresholds of music that you have to write off. musique concrete? electroacoustic improv? drone? and getting out of the realm of electronic music, how about free jazz? grindcore? all of these push the envelope of what it means to be music way further than your average rapper could ever dream about.

in short, you know very little, if anything, about what makes music music, and are using that to justify writing off one of the most culturally relevant styles of music of the past 40 years.

Last edited by chooby; 01-5-2020 at 05:55 PM..