View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
carlin
nilrac
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to carlin Send a message via Skype™ to carlin
Default California State College Budget Cut. Wtf?

So this has been on my mind for a couple months now. But I just got a news update email from my college that I will be attending for the first time in August that says that, "This budget will cut the CSU by at least $650 million - nearly one-fourth of state operating support - and the effects will be felt throughout our 23 campuses and among our 412,000 students. The proposed 'trigger cut' of another $100 million is especially problematic because the trigger won’t be pulled until classes for our last semester of the fiscal year have already started and it is too late for campuses to respond in any practical way."

Okay. Really? Like, REEEAAALLLYY?? Seriously? Is this really a valid way to fix anything? If anything it makes everything worse. And here's my argument why schools and colleges should be the LAST place to take money away from. To start off, I don't know if this restructure of the budget is unique to California or if other states are doing a similar thing, but for the sake of this topic, I'm just talking about California. Attacking the school budgets really makes no sense to me because I think this is where most of the money should be going to in the first place. If America wants to have a better economy in the future and smarter people who make better life decisions, then we need to be funding education. I just looked up reasons for reducing the education budget and so far, I have found absolutely nothing. There are no compelling arguments that I've found. So if anyone has a good reason for this, enlighten us. However, what would help the economy, is to reduce the military budget. "For the 2010 fiscal year, the president's base budget of the Department of spending on "overseas contingency operations" brings the sum to $663.8 billion." So says Wikipedia. Whhhyyyy are we spending this much, what do we stand to gain from having a bigger army in the world penis wagging game? The people who say we need to defend ourselves don't make any sense either. We have been attacked once in like the last 100 years, counting back from 9/11. And that wasn't even a real war. All it started was one of the biggest greed schemes in history. If we even cut 10% of the military budget, we could help education immensely. So what do you all think? Discuss.