View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #1549
Precarious
Unacceptable
FFR Veteran

Default Re: TWG CLXXX - OuO what's this? [Game Thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
Isnt lynch all liars just a way of twisting the prevalence of illogic to convince people that bad thought patterns equivalate to wolfiness
While I definitely stood to benefit last game with the competing fake claims, I really do believe that fake claims should be punished. Any sort of gambit doesn't outweigh the implicit lack of trust, nor the precedent it sets—particularly since I've seen towns get burned elsewhere ignoring fake claims. But it's worth distinguishing between outright, specific lies and internal inconsistencies. Everyone is likely guilty of the latter from time to time—I'll probably manage a few in this text wall. But while they shouldn't necessarily be a clarion call for an immediate lynch, internal inconsistency is definitely more scum-sided than town, because wolves are, by definition, putting on an act, and thus aren't actually working toward the goal of lynching all wolves. Thus, they're more likely to get their wires crossed when making cases—they're not actually trying to solve anything, they're just putting up what looks good, and would benefit the wolf victory condition long term.

The problem with an inconsistency like this is that it's certainly something a wolf might do; make a convenient case, then retract it when it stops being convenient. But because a wolf-case is always manufactured, how they get in and out of it can be lost along the way. But at the same time, inconsistency isn't solely a wolf failing, particularly in a game where gut reads and general intuition plays a large role. It can be difficult to fully explain how you feel sometimes (although I think it's good practice to at least try). So while I would hold that lynch all liars isn't necessarily bad advice, it should apply to clear, definitive lies, and less so to something like this. I kind of fall in the middle on this; I think it should be a point against Sun, but not a huge one.