View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #17
Gradiant
FFR's Resident Trashpanda
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Poll: Which global skill rating system is best ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirryWoo View Post
It's perfectly fine to enforce a minimum requirement in both settings (it probably is better in both cases because it's ridiculous to assign a skill rating to having one song played). This is less of a problem to me than what I wrote previously, but one of the main drawbacks I can see with the unweighted system is that it is forced to have this minimum requirement from the players to make the unweighted system work. Because of this forced requirement, you are requiring everyone who hasn't played 50 to 100 songs, to play (ideally seriously) in order to be considered ranked and improve the representation of the unweighted rankings. So there is a huge reliance on the players to play their part in making the unweighted system work. This isn't realistic in practice and this is why I call the unweighted system much more favorable to "active players". The ones who are committed to contributing to the high scores will be the ones who make the unweighted setting work.

The weighted system I designed is a lot more lenient in terms of requiring a minimum requirement (we are freely able to chose this requirement independent of the model's development). You can choose any reasonable minimum requirement for each player to satisfy and regardless if that requirement is met or not, the model attempts to find the best representation of skill using the weighted setting. Those who don't meet the minimum requirement will simply be excluded from the high scores via a defined conditional filter. (e.g. don't show username in high scores if they don't play 50 or 100 songs)
Confused with the difference here. With both of these systems, players aren't going to be listed if they haven't hit whatever minimum is in place.

Also in general, don't really like the 'people are going to have to play' argument against average system. What is the whole point of this game anyway but to play files to get scores they think are good? I mentioned this in the discord when op brought it up, but the token requirement for coactive is to AAA 50 different files in a day. So playing 50 different files just to best of ability not even AAA'ing shouldn't take longer than a day either. Don't think this is too much to ask for at all for the benefit of being on a leaderboard. And if they don't care enough about playing the game, then they're not listed in the leaderboard like the bolded part of that 2nd part in the quote.

Also thinking of games like moba's or stuff like starcraft where you go through placement matches before being ranked; those games a match could go anywhere from like 30min to an hour, compared to an ffr file being like 2 minutes or so. The times required for the placement matches would be similar to hitting whatever minimum number of files played to be on ffr's leaderboard.

Last edited by Gradiant; 05-24-2021 at 12:36 PM..
Gradiant is offline   Reply With Quote