View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 11:56 AM   #167
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

See, the hardest part about debating the existance of god is that the method for the debates cancel each other out. If you follow the scientific route, evidence shows that there is no god. But try to point this out to one who believes, and they will tell you Faith is all that god needs to function.

Another amusing quote that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has to say on the subject (while incorporating the subject of the Babel fish, a fish that translates all languages when inserted into the ear...don't ask, pay attention to the bolded bit).

Quote:
The Babel fish, is small yellow and leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy recieved not from its own carrier but from those around it...The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.
Now, it is such a bizarrely improbably coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistance of God. The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead givaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED. "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that." And promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. "Oh, that was easy." Says Man and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
Again, its all for comedic effect, but still...

Damn, whoever would have thought such a thinker would come from a radio comedy show turned book?
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote