Thread: Wtf Did I Do?
View Single Post
Old 12-5-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya
Default Wtf Did I Do?

I put my Xbox in an NES case. The only thing that didn't really fit is the CD/DVD drive. But the motherboard, 80gb hardrive, fan, and powersupply all occupy the case. I even put in some lights.. Not quite done either, pretty close though.

Why? I was tinkering around with LED's, sticking the lights in random techno stuff. I soon learned how to solder and thought the activity was quite fun. This just gave me the idea, the need to do something big. I just wanted to do a bigger project. Had to be cheap too. I bought two broken NES systems for about $15 all together, and that's really all I bought.

On with the pictures.

If you can see here, I don't have the power buttons glued in or anything. I want to see if I can make them functional before totally giving up. Some resistors are in the way of the power buttons, but I bet I can use them somehow..

Another angle.. You can see I had to cut seperate holes for the two controller ports as there was no room below. They work well up a little higher.

Another angle.. You can see better the placement of the plugs.

The last "Another angle.." shot. You can see the motherboard sticking out a little bit. Very little, had to fit it in this way.

Power supply hangs near the door. I've had a couple people already try to touch this thing while the system was running and they were shocked.. I might just glue the door down if people keep touching that thing.

Stuff is connected inside. As much as I would have loved to disconnect everything for the sake of some pictures, I just decided to pry the case open a little bit.

Another angle.. You can see in these two past pictures where everything is placed. The hardrive and powersupply as fastened to the top of the system. Both are removable whenever need be.

I don't know how much you can make out in this picture. You can see one of the heatsinks. The other heatsink has the fan mounted on top of it. Oddly enough, that one fan is enough to keep the system cool enough to run hours on end.

You may not know this, but there are a couple video and audio ports on the side of the NES system. That's where the power button is currently. Works really nice in that area. You can see the glow. The system glows red and the power button blinks green as the system turns on.

When the system is done booting up, the power button switches to red. Why red? Cheapest LED's at Radio Shack. Better than $5/each for blue LED's. I know I can order a million LED's for 5 cents online, but I didn't.

Action shot.
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote