Thread: StepCon 2023
View Single Post
Old 11-5-2023, 11:34 AM   #78
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: StepCon 2023

Got some Very brief notes for the submissions. Went through each chart about 3 times at least to not be too biased by the order they're presented.

1:
This chart is pretty tame and has good execution throughout. Bit of an odd spike with the hands and polys at the end given how easy the drops (breakcore and dubstep) were, making the latter much less memorable. Could've had more originality, like patterning or color theory; as is nothing really stands out much.

2:
Cool approach with the higher difficulty. The patterning and difficulty curve are sound for most sections locally, but as a whole it's a bit hard to justify; there are bursty/minijack-y sections where the music isnt at its peak intensity yet those sections are the hardest to play. Also while the color trills are neat, the poly they create with the 8ths and 4ths are a bit jank. Pretty fun dubstep-y drop though that was one of the more enjoyable versions of that section.

3:
Pretty clean overall. There could have been more abstraction than 24ths and 16ths in the dubstep part to really make it pop, because it's probably the most underwhelming section of the chart. Handstream at the end is a bit of a difficulty bump too and the layering could be toned down just a bit (or would be fine if the dubstep part was harder), but at least it's relatively friendly patterning.

4:
This one hits a sweet spot in terms of difficulty management; the js/hs, breakcore and dubstep all have their own interesting approach without being underwhelming or too spiky. The color theory in the first half (white notes) is a bit hard to follow because it's not distinct enough of a sound with everything going on in that section. The handstream layering is also a bit weird in the second half because there are hands going to sounds much softer than others.

5:
Easiest approach, pretty friendly to play. A couple of sections lack pattern diversity and are mostly just rolls and/or split rolls. The handstream at the end is a bit too hard for the rest of the chart though.

Overall, I think all submissions are pretty strong and enjoyable to play. There isn't any specific chart that nails everything, nor is there a chart that messes up lots of sections. For the most part it was often a tradeoff between which section was charted "better" imo; some had better breakcore, some had better dubstep, and some had better js/hs. I can see this finale getting diverse votes for sure. I picked one in particular which I believe would be the most memorable and wouldn't require many structural fixes to get ingame. Congrats to everyone for submitting a chart, y'all did well. Good luck!

Last edited by xXOpkillerXx; 11-5-2023 at 01:57 PM..
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote