View Single Post
Old 08-27-2022, 05:44 PM   #140
sff_writer_dan
FFR Player

Default Re: Dump Batch Discussion Thread

Yeah when I made the comparison to legacy files, I thought it would be pretty clear that it was a joke, just like taking the "dumps means the steps don't map directly onto distinct sounds" concept and applying it, for humour, to legacy files being incredibly out of sync.

It definitely is the case that there are probably people here opposing dumps because the name evokes files like vROFL where you just "dump" notes into a file, so I think it might be worth the effort to find a better name that evokes what people want, but I also don't think 'abstract' gets you there either. There's definitely still a direct connection between the music and the steps, as I understand it, you're just taking liberties to replace what might be a single quarter note with an 8-note roll when the song has a buzz. It's still starting and stopping to the music, it's just a more liberal interpretation of a pattern inside the note yeah?

I think there's a lot of potential in being able to take more downtempo stuff and make it more technically difficult and a higher difficulty with 'dumps' being allowed, not just songs that are >100

Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way 'dump' is meant to be used here could easily cover stuff like the opening buzz tones in Dendrite which are nothing in the v1, and single notes in the v2, being like bursts or rolls instead which would make it "a dump" technically but still be as low as 50 or 60 depending on what else is done in there.
sff_writer_dan is offline   Reply With Quote