View Single Post
Old 08-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #124
_choof
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: Dump Batch Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Not coincidentally, it's pretty much universally agreed upon that almost all the original files in FFR are huge pieces of shit.
is this because of the early stepping meta paired with the state of ffr's engine circa early 2000s or is this because people were intentionally stepping things with incorrect tempos and "incorrect" patterns
you've been a member of this site long enough to know about the game's limitations and that the community's general understanding of what made a file classically good took years to truly develop, even with all of dumb gatekeepy shit that went on during the dark chancellor's era

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirryWoo View Post
The point I’m raising is from the perspective of the song artist who we’ve all gone out to seek for permissions to use their work and not related to how FFR should remain outdated in the charting meta to cater to the older crowd. If a buffet potentially have many food options, is it intended for the chefs to go serve everything in their inventory to the hungry customers? They can if they want but in most buffets, that’s not the main goal. Similarly, in most cases, it’s not the main intention for the song artist to create content for FFR that calls for dump files.
for many artists, rhythm games are nowhere on their radar when it comes to production. that's even true for many of the styles of music that are currently in ffr. artists in certain idm scenes like terminal11 were physically releasing music in the early 2000s on obscure labels that had absolutely no connection to rhythm games, not even tangentially. the entirety of monstercat is mainstream festival edm. if you want to bring up the pattern argument, artists might be able to catch glimpses of pattern usage in a chart as it's playing in front of them but beyond a certain level it all gets parsed as a blur.

I really think this entire conversation is sullied by virtue of what we call these charts. the etymology of "dump" is that we're just "dumping arrows," and yeah if you tell an artist that you used their music to "create a dump," they have zero context and will assume you're calling their music a "steaming dump."

imo a lot of this can be averted by referring to them as something different, and I really think "abstract" is a much better and much more accurate term to describe them. you're not charting something literally, you're abstracting the feel of the music into the chart itself.

Quote:
Now that we have more advanced charting mediums, accomplishing creating improved content compared to older times is much more straightforward.
this is all great and cool but still doesn't resolve the problem of a lot of the end-game music being more and more unlistenable as the difficulty increases.

Quote:
I am not opposed to removing older files (or any files that are deemed low quality) that don’t fit current standards of stepping and having it be fun to play, but I think that’s one controversial opinion I will continue to hold and will always receive push back when I actively make that heard lmfao.
do not remove old content from the game, remove it from ranks
_choof is offline   Reply With Quote