View Single Post
Old 02-24-2022, 06:08 PM   #213
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Song Corrections Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
I think this can be an opener to an even broader discussion as a whole in what quantifies getting a song placed in the 'Arcade' genre. Is it the relation of a particular song to a video game, or is it a particular usage of instruments? If it's the latter, which instruments? '8-Bit' is the de-facto answer but there are MUCH more songs in Arcade than just '8-Bit'. There's Rock, House, Electronic (EDM), Progressive, Jazz and even Piano as what a lot of the argument imposed above contains (See: Mario Mix for Piano).

I've moved all the songs you've mentioned over to Arcade. Would love to have a discussion about this, in this thread and see how others interpret the genre.
That'd be a fun deep-dive and rework of the genre sorting as a whole, because the current categories no longer really reflect the diverse catalogue of music FFR has, which is why these kinda pop up.

Like putting say my Nightfall (Original Mix) file in Dance makes a lot of sense, but does Sepia belong there? I'd probably say no, but like, to do that right Misc would get SLAUGHTERED with how many files are in it.

Or another example, MISC also contains Ruins [Toby Fox] which again like my files, has it placed wrong (noticed this while writing - sorry) but like, This Is Sparta is in MISC, so is something like Where is my balls, and -Bibbidi Poopidi Scoop- which makes no actual sense other than there's just not a better place for it to go, considering songs like A Quick Death are Dance 2, and it's up the same alley as all the Venetian Snares.

A separate thread for that kind of rework would probably be better to keep this to quicker fixes.

And I'd be willing to maybe tinker around with that a bit, but I'd rather see a Skill Token rework first personally (I've wanted this for AGES - and now might be the time where headway is finally made. Like I'd like to see Token whore adjusted to any 100 tokens, I'd like to see antipa reqs removed entirely sort of stuff - but this isn't the place for that.)

But I think as much as this sucks to say, considering the massive project you just did, fixing all of this would just be another big project. Sorry for the mini ramble but like, I hope you get where I'm going.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote