View Single Post
Old 02-2-2018, 06:52 PM   #62
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Isn't it time we said goodbye to the non tool-assisted files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
As a player whose only been on the site 10 out of the 15 years its been here, when i joined there were PLENTY of files on here to play. Amongst those files were the legacy ones which i actually enjoyed playing. They REALLY arent as bad as you guys are making them out to be. Its a good feeling when you AAA them, and an even better feeling when you get all of the lower level ones. I mean look at stuff like undici....that isnt any better. Its just as impossible as say Revo etude.
Seriously, they should be left alone or at least left in game.

A newer player isnt going to play terror from beyond and not want to play anymore because its off sinc. lol
Come on man, you've played every one just like I have. Don't act like they aren't awful. Please don't compare something that is fundamentally bad (an unsynced file in a rhythm game) to something that is just extremely hard. You might not like Undici, but care and proper tools were used to ensure it was synced properly, and it went through a panel of judges that approved it. The satisfaction of AAAing these files is the kind of satisfaction you get when you finally remove a splinter, or finally clear out the water in your ear after a day. It feels good, but not something we should want people to have to deal with in the first place.

Also I don't see why they wouldn't. If they are newer and have no attachment, what's stopping them from just figuring they'll find better content on OSU, StepMania, or maybe something different entirely? I stayed because I developed an obsession at the time, but I imagine I am an outlier in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoptart View Post
Just have them all be in the Legacy Genre, and have the whole grenre unlock when you unlocks FFR Veteran status. Old players can still play them, new players can't until they unlock veteran, vet status means more.
I have problems with this idea for two reasons, first and foremost is that it doesn't seem to address stat tracking. If the files still count towards average rank or tier points, then there is this wall of a few hundred files that is hidden behind a long term barrier. I can only imagine a user finally unlocking veteran and hacking away at all these files, only to realize they are all crap and they have to deal with them all the same.

If they don't count towards stats fine, but that leaves one more small issue, which is gating the legacy content for older players who may not have earned veteran status. I'd rather that anyone who wants to experience the files can, but that they don't count towards anything meaningful for site rankings. For people who want to keep history in check, I think gating it behind a 10 month / 10 bil to 3 year / 3 bil requirement is a bit extreme.