Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: The singularity, ASI, ie: crazy advanced AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Haven't heard of quantum computing I see
Which can certainly make some forms of computation more effective, but you wouldn't want it for everything. Traditional computation isn't going anywhere. I'm sure we'll find other ways of computing in the future as well.

But we don't know anything about resource requirements for quantum computing at this point since we can't even build a functional one beyond maybe a few qubits, but it still has to obey the laws of physics and will have architecture constraints.

An AI system will always be constrained by energy requirements and our ability to use energy will plateau out. In terms of microchips we're already there. Processors can't really go any faster. Quantum computing will squeeze more out of computation but it'll also only go so far and is constrained in its applications.

What it will come down to is how far above (or below..!) human cognition our AI systems have the energy available for and are able to use...before we plateau.

I prefer to take the pessimistic stance and would argue that even if we eventually have the ability to produce something that would turn itself into a ASI, it'll never happen because of practical reasons (economic or energy related).

Last edited by Reach; 02-23-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote