Old 09-6-2016, 06:49 PM   #36
G2Wolf
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to G2Wolf Send a message via AIM to G2Wolf
Default Re: FFR Hacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
I would recommend users to change their passwords to something that is:
1) Reasonably strong. Avoid common dictionary words and try to mix in numbers, symbols, and/or mixed capitalization of letters.
2) A password that is not used anywhere else.
3) Not easily guessed by someone who knows you personally. For example, if your password included something about soccer because you have a personal interest in soccer as a hobby, it can be guessed. This has happened to some friends I know.

Additionally, keep in mind that:
- []61% of the 1.8 million user accounts were already stated to be hacked (i.e. compromised on other sites) in February. One of the easiest ways to have an account compromised is sharing a password amongst different sites that were already breached, so please use different passwords.
- A large majority of that 1.8 million account demographic is inactive and the passwords are probably simple (e.g. dictionary words or "abc123", I have guessed some user account passwords before on this site from being common dictionary words).
- There isn't any evidence from what we know about an attack happening through vbulletin. I did have a talk with Velocity about user security recently and he can chime in here if needed.
Just because someone is on their multiple times does not mean they use the same password on each site, or even use weak passwords. Just the shit luck of being signed up to sites with apparently weak security.

Man, gotta love logging into a site for the first time in over 9 years just because of passwords being hacked now.