View Single Post
Old 09-4-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
sickufully
Sir Krisk
FFR Veteran

Default Re: What's public transit like where you live?

If you want trains that skip stations, terminate before their intended destination, change from stopping-all-stations to express cause it's running 3 minutes late and the company doesn't want to get fined for poor performance, then come on down to Melbourne.

Let me tell you about our WONDERFUL ticket system. About 4-5 years ago, our PT switched ticketing systems from recyclable paper tickets, to these terrible plastic cards that were supposed to help save the environment by not cutting down trees (but replacing them with cheap plastic cards... go figure). I think the main reason was so the city could look somewhat techy, rather than old school paper tickets but I never saw a problem with these. Anyway, these Myki cards are an absolute joke (TheThong, you're going to 'love' our ticket system...).

There are so many faults with these cards, such as:
- They crack and bend very easily.
- The tiniest crack, which sometimes you cannot even see, will render your card useless.
- Sometimes you will get charged double for your trip so you gotta call customer support for a claim and we all know what big companies customer support is like...
- If the Myki reader isn't working at the station and you jump on the train/tram/bus anyway cause you gotta get to work, you're basically boned if ticket inspectors get on the train (gl trying to convince them the machine wasn't working).
- Sometimes the machines aren't fixed for days and conveniently, your station becomes the target of an invalid ticket crackdown.
- If you leave your Myki card at home, gotta buy a new one, regardless of how much money was left of your other one.
- Transferring money between cards is basically impossible.
- Every time you have to buy a new Myki, you have to pay $6 for it (with no travel money on it yet).
- Just to get to the city as a visitor in Melb, you have to pay $6 for the card, and then about another $8 bucks just for the ride in and out.
- If you forget to touch your card off when you complete your journey, it will charge you the amount of a full ticket the next time you touch your card on (mainly applies to students cause they get discounted travel costs).
- Visitors to the city have no idea how the ticket system works as there is very little signage/information on how to use it.
- Ticket Top Up machines are only at train stations, or you can top up your card at a Myki supported newsagent or 7/11. Can't do it on the actual transport itself.

Oh, Myki also cost $1b which I personally think is the biggest waste of money.

On the brighter side, the combination of trains, trams and buses will take you almost anywhere in Melb. Only thing is, the times never line up cause PT is almost ALWAYS late.