View Single Post
Old 08-4-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Here's a batch of 10 alternative stepmania songs

All of the charts are set to 60 bpm, the default bpm in the SM editor. All of the charts also have low note counts, and the tags in-game leave quite a bit to be desired. I decided to play Limp Bizkit - Take a look around.flv by unknown artist for my first chart, but because of the low note count, I bumped it up to a solid 2.0 rate.

From the very first note, I realized that this was a classically styled ctrl+r chart. Of course, at 1.0 this would be boring me to tears, but due to the song speeding through my ears at 200% speed, some patterns turned out to be pretty tough.

But as I played, I realized something. Something deep, something dark. From the get go, it was fairly obvious what the notes were following. They had a general flow, but as the chart continued on, the flow in the notes began to falter... until I reached the ending of the song and the notes felt... arbitrary, even more so than I could have imagined in a ctrl+r chart.

So many of us use ddream to meticulously place notes to the faintest of sounds, we use advanced techniques to determine how and where we place notes. We have to think about the implications of using a 32nd mine after this freeze note as opposed to a 24th mine. But... do we truly know the music that we use for this game? We focus so intently on the minutia that we fail to see the whole song for what it is. We don't understand that each song is an experience, and we dilute that experience with our complexities.

This pack made me realize just how important it is to not only understand where and how to place notes... but why.

ps this pack sucks some major dick bruh