View Single Post
Old 07-2-2016, 06:57 PM   #1367
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 11th Official Tournament - Round 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
I always wonder though - how do you voluntarily "don't let nerves happen"?
Mr. Rubix also once said that the trick is to pretend that your run doesn't count. But really, how can one so easily trick him or herself mentally? I sure can't.

The mind isn't stupid; if you're having a great run, your brain will definitely wipe off any notion that it's a calm, ordinary playthrough.
It's really hard to put into words how to do it but I want to say it is a skill that you can teach yourself when you come across something difficult but you believe you can get the AAA on.

I would agree with what Rubix said, though I wouldn't tell myself the run doesn't count because then at some point if I actually believed that then I would stop immediately haha. Anyways, I had to tell myself that I would flag it in that run and that I'd be okay with the flag, but I pushed through and nailed it. Previously I had a 0-0-2-0 run on it and I attributed both misses to pure nerves (and shaking).

If you are unable to do it mentally, I would say the next best thing is to turn off any indicator of your score (Even raw score display if that's possible) so that you cannot visibly see if you messed up or not. There are downsides to it such as wasting time if you are already passed your PB, but it's still an option.