Old 07-2-2016, 12:50 PM   #57
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
did you think you were gonna drop this sentence and nobody would ask you to so much as elaborate or what
Well, if you believe there are rational gun controls (in which I include things like, licensing, registration, training) those things don't meaningfully limit anybody's access to firearms. Most people who own guns have the means to drop 50 bucks on a gun license and find a Saturday to go do a training course at a range. Yes, the extremely poor might still find that burdensome, but they pay to get a driver's license, and if getting a gun license when you turn 18 is considered as much a part of being an American as a driver's license at 16, it would quickly just become a thing that got done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
I will say though devonin has a curiously good ability to weigh in on issues like sex, drugs, crime and the hood in a way no other person so unlike people familiar with those things does
You don't actually know all that much about me beyond the persona I adopt here, which has pretty much always been coloured by the fact that I was staff most of my lifespan on the site. I've been heavily invested in more than a few internet communities for the better part of 20 years now. I know a lot of kinds of people from a lot of parts of the world. And I spend a lot of time making myself aware of what's going on in the world. My degree is in history and philosophy, and the philosophy end was focused heavily into applied ethics. This is sort of my jam.

Quote:
it's like there's a google alert he has set up for the most alien he could be to a subject matter's norms
I wouldn't even know what that means let alone how or why to do it.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote