View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #129
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR: The New User Perspective And New FFR Ideas

Your post was the very definition of pretentious. It's like saying, "guys I just started CS1300 web development in HTML, let me know if you need any pointers for redesigning the front page."

In order for a Unity engine to work for FFR, here is a list of things that would need to be addressed:

1) Make an interface that doesn't deter too much from the current look and feel of R^3. If people don't see what they're used to seeing, it will not be received well.
2) The game needs to be playable not only at the same level, but better than it currently is with all current playstyle settings still intact.
3) You need to find a way to convert Flash swfs to be playable by Unity (this is a project in and of itself), you could incorporate Unity into Flash, but we would be having the same flash versioning issues as always, so not really a solution.
4) You would probably need to publish a standalone version or subject players to a tedious process for installing Unity standalone plugins, also involving accessing browser caches to get appropriate files which needs to be repeated every time new content is added.
5)...
6)...
7)... <list of unforseen issues continues here>

To completely recode the engine on a different platform would be the largest project this site has ever seen. Everything from the timing windows to the way the arrows scroll to the levels themselves (and how we convert .sm files for import into FFR) is dependent on Flash right now.

I'd say even a seasoned Unity developer would be up for a serious challenge with this project.

While it's not an impending issue, and players are still able to obliterate 25+NPS files with near perfect precision, Flash is an acceptable platform to use since the infrastructure already exists.

And I most certainly do not want to see a StepMania clone implementation of FFR, however much that would wet some users' panties...

Sorry for rambling, but I get a bit perturbed when people start complaining about a platform transition not happening, because it takes soooo much work, more that can be accomplished by such a limited dev team we have.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote