View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 06:08 AM   #97
tunsz555
FFR Player

Default Re: How often does anyone play this game anymore?

I did not open Stepmania for years, but I would like to point out the point of online function comparing with mobile game Cytus and Deemo. Both games doesn't have online function. But they are very popular, has so many loyal followers and I found myself playing it every now and then (kind of like me and Stepmania in the past)

I think the reason is it is mobile so it is easier to boot up, and the song is kind of limited compaing to Stepmania so I the personal goal to S every song in the set works better.

Another reason is they have good level creep control. Games like Cytus and Jubeat have good control of how overwhelming the game can get over time compared to Stepmania or O2Jam. When the game gets harder and harder music gamers can't help but be annoyed if they can't pass so many songs even though the game provided easier note chart. Many Cytus players enjoy doing accuracy attack because the game is designed to be like that. I also feel the same for DDR but not PIU. Most DDR songs have note design like Cytus, mostly simple and only on climax part that have several short streams but it is compensated by DDR's extremely precise judgment. Compared to PIU/O2Jam where every song seems to feel like survival game of streams it might be exciting at first but over time I believe accuracy game lasts longer. At least more amount of players can enjoy the game. (The part of case of Stepmania is it is only appealing to seasoned music gamers)

I also like the total cumulative score showing system. Cytus have total scores counted for each set. Most arcade games has full combo lamps, etc. so you will try to make the whole set looks "complete".