View Single Post
Old 01-9-2016, 02:39 PM   #48
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: So apparently people are mad that Stepmania was on AGDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
I kind of wish that Stian had played some easier songs to begin with because it would serve several purposes:
A) It would cut the nervousness since a crowd of unsuspecting viewers with little to no rhythm gaming experience would be blown away by just about anything D4 or higher, leading to the same type of overwhelming crowd hype that happened during the showcase
B) It would be alright for a warmup
C) It would have shown viewers that there is more to SM than D7/D8 files and perhaps plant the seed in their minds that they might be capable of playing the game too.
D) It lets the couch explain a lot of underlying concepts before anything crazy happens and without the fear of breaking Stian's concentration during intense files (and I thought the couch did a great job of doing this during the first few charts anyway).
E) It makes the true hard stuff look even more impressive in comparison.
I agree with pretty much all of this -- but it's also hard to find the right balance point, since the whole thing is a charity event under time constraints. There's an argument to be made that playing the most difficult / impressive songs the entire way through is the best way to get donations / the best way to provide benefit to a good cause.

But if we remove all that from the equation (as well as things like time constraints), then yes, I agree. All else considered, I thought they did a fantastic job.

If there was lots of time to do this, I'd go through files that were considered difficult for their era, while talking about the history of DDR/DWI/BMS/Stepmania/etc:

Paranoia, Boom Boom Dollar, Max 300, BMR's A, Club (Yanah), (placeholder), Vertex Beta, Disregard, and then lead into all the files Staiain played from there. I'd actually add several other files but this should give some idea for what I mean.

The idea being that as you go through time, you also go through difficulty and get a chance to talk about how things evolved in terms of attitudes, origins, playstyles, tournaments, difficulty, software, features, files, websites, games, notable events, etc.

(placeholder) would just be a cool file a lot of people liked around 2005-2006 or so, but there are too many choices as to what could go here.

The reason I include Club is because it sparked a lot of debate about playstyle at the time. Gives you an opportunity to show off the power of index play.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 01-9-2016 at 02:43 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote