View Single Post
Old 12-5-2015, 09:59 PM   #11
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: How old is too old to play DDR/ITG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Curious if others have an opinion on this.

I'll probably never feel "too old," but still...
Ultimately it depends on what you want out of the game. The best age range to play the game would be before late 20's (I know Rynker is in his mid 20s and Trevor is in his late teens and they've both passed an ITG 21) if you want to grind the game hard and pass songs on the very high end of the difficulty spectrum.

The issue with DDR and ITG compared to keyboard play mainly comes from the following:
- Your overall body plays a much bigger role in your performance. Genetics also influences improvement rate for both, but having larger body weight puts much more stress on your legs, sweat can drip onto the pads and make your feet sticky etc.
- You need a large space to have a machine with the pads as opposed to just having a table with a keyboard.
- Machines go for several thousands of dollars as opposed to keyboards that could go for a few hundred.
- Maintenance is a much bigger issue for DDR and ITG as opposed to Stepmania, which just requires a laptop/computer and a keyboard. For DDR and ITG you have to change sensors in the pad, raise the panels to be more playable/make sure that the brackets don't kill your feet, etc.

Overall DDR and ITG are very expensive games that aren't accessible to most people. This is why most of the player base age for ITG is either very late teens or 20's.

I think 30 is an age where the body starts getting to its peak bone density which could potentially impact performance on the game, although I admittedly have no evidence of this. So this would probably fit into the "too old" question from a physical standpoint that improvement will be harder once you get past the 20's age range.

Everyone can play these games for good cardio exercise, but it also depends on the difficulties you're playing and how frequently you play.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote