View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #323
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles
Default Re: What's happening in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
There are a few ways to do this. Most of them are somewhat simple in concept but just need people who care.

and he crushes it out the park oh my god it's a grand slaaaaaaaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
The web is literally flooded with places to discuss shit and none of them are nearly as bizarre or restrictive.
I actually disagree with this though, there are a lot of forums more restrictive than FFR, especially when they are forums attached to video games. For instance, all Blizzard forums have a no-tolerance policy on politics and religion discussions, even totally objective discussions.

FFR forums are uncommon and possibly unique among 'official' videogame forums in that many users don't discuss or sometimes even play the game at all (guilty as fuc). The WoW forums have ~40 forums dedicated to various aspects of the game and literally 2 small off-topic forums. Meanwhile, FFR has 4 FFR-related forums and 16 off-topic forums.

Game forums typically exist almost entirely for the developers, to keep their eye on the pulse of the playerbase and generate interest and hype. They also want to keep an immaculate image going, so any discussion that smells like it might go south is dealt with immediately. They don't really care if they're encouraging intelligent discussion or creating a tight-knit community because that doesn't make the dolla or help the product.

Synth has let the forums wander pretty far outside the scope of FFR The Game and that's rad and I love it but it's not making him any money. I don't know how to monetize a close community and intelligent discussion. Maybe the SA model? I'd pay five dollars for an off-topic FFR forum account, no joke. Ten? .... Yeah, I think so. But I'm already part of the community, and a five dollar barrier to entry would be insurmountable to anyone new who hasn't yet seen the value of what goes down here.

i'm rambling so in conclusion please give manti access to tgb keycards