View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #74
Skwid1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Skwid1
Default Re: Super Revival Pack 2015 released, download links inside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i really really REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like to see this dichotomy of "technical accuracy/pr vs fun"

it doesn't exist

there are no charts that are fun without being accurate--having fun playing a chart is because what you're playing somehow matches what you're hearing, regardlesss of what technique(s) used

and people's charts (generally) don't fail to be fun because "they tried too hard to be technical"

what is actually happening is that

1. the song choice isn't interesting, or should have been cut
2. the most prominent or interesting aspects of music weren't followed (this is the opposite of being accurate/technical)
3. the difficulty is unevenly or poorly spread (and again, i would contend that this is a form of not being accurate/technical as you will want to match intense sound with intense steps and vice versa, but only within relativity to each other within the chart, so anything that stands out as unjustified or a big spike would fail to do that)
i pretty much agree with everything you've said, but i think #3 is what there is confusion about since i see it a little differently. to me, someone realizing that a section would be a massive difficulty spike if charted for pure technicality/PR and changing it to be more friendly would be a sacrifice of accuracy in favor of fun. i guess we just have a different definition of accuracy. it wasn't my intention to create a dichotomy, sry bud.

also i didn't mean to shit on the entire pack or whatever (again, i don't think it's terrible), but i just think it's weird that people seem to be hiding behind "haha i had fun tho!" when someone points out an obvious issue, even if the expectations weren't high. although, to be fair, the pack probably shouldn't have the pretense of "reviving stepmania" if it wasn't meant to be taken seriously (:^
Skwid1 is offline   Reply With Quote