View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #53
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Default Re: Super Revival Pack 2015 released, download links inside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baq12 View Post
Honestly, from playing most of the files in this pack so far, I've been really enjoying every one. And I think its because I'm trying to not look at it from a critical point of view like I typically do. I'm looking at whether I'm having fun or not, and with what I've played so far, even the scoring files, I've been thoroughly enjoying myself. I think giving positive reinforcement on those who have submitted is kind of good morality, especially for the work that each person has put in, myself included. Maybe that's just me though.
I wanted to add my own two cents on this, because this is a topic that I actually care about.

There is most definitely a difference between enjoying something and examining it critically. The reason why we examine and study and construct charts critically is because we this helps us understand and create charts that are going to be (generally) the most fun.

The "good morality" bit ties into all of this because I've found that many chart artists are actually extraordinarily creative, but all of the "technicalities" that we've been teaching over the years often times ends up stifling that creativity. Over the past few years, I've been trying to contribute back to the community by analyzing how we learn to make charts and providing an environment that will lead people in the right direction, a long-term benefit that will keep the community healthy and growing, and this is the main reason I wanted to judge for this pack. When I judged charts, I was more focused on accepting charts that were reasonably fun, but more importantly give artists the environment they need to develop their creativity.

And this is why despite the small active community, I stick with the "SM" side of things rather than the actual FFR game. The large majority of the FFR charts are what we would describe as "generic" for this reason. Before our community developed maturely, the first few charts were basic and simple. The next generation of charts were asked to conform to that standard, and with the large majority of the charts still following that standard, it's unlikely that we will see major change here. It is not necessarily a bad thing though; at this point it's arguable this is FFR's "style". I can't condemn the game that was ultimately responsible for me being here. However, deep down I never really agreed with the site in this way, even though I used to be awful at communicating this (evident many years ago by... well, you oldies would know what I'm talking about).

This post ended up being way longer and way more serious than I initially intended. At least I got this off my chest, even if no one is really there to read it. I also hope that if anyone has any legitimate criticisms for me they would express them, because I want to know if what I'm doing actually lines up with what I want.

(ps that's also why I wrote this that not enough people use)
vvvvv

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 07-23-2015 at 05:42 PM..
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote