View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #189
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 123: To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

All aboard the early release hype train! The Internet is busting a nut for this album, with a 96 on Metacritic and an RYM score that started at 4.41 or something but depreciated quite quickly. Now it seems to be fluctuating between 4.06 and 4.07. Let's see where it lay after I listen.

My bias is that I prefer the catchy song structures of Section.80 to the overt storytelling of good kid, m.A.A.d city. Now let's listen, I need my dinner.

It's pretty clear that Kendrick isn't the stay-still, pigeonholed, let's-release-the-same-bloated-rap-album artist that way too many rappers are today (Eminem and Jay Z come to mind as examples that were at least good ONCE). Whereas I felt that GKMC was rather conventional beatwise but stronger lyrically, this album is almost the polar opposite. Not saying the lyricism isn't good or great persay, but it's clearly taking second hand to the schizophrenic song structures and grooves. This album is funky as hell, and all the better for it. The flow here is incredibly energetic and passionate, compared to the often apathetic tones of both his prior albums. Listen to u, admire the overblown voice cracks and falsetto jumps, and then listen to The Art Of Peer Pressure and think about how boring that song is, and how you could just read a good book and listen to The Jesus Lizard instead.

I really wish I could write more, but anyways, the hype train was right this time. The beats on this album are simply fantastic, as is the song order and the rapping. The seeming lack of a narrative replaced with overarching theme makes for a slightly less obtuse listen than Good Kid which sometimes got a bit boring, and any depth that is lost with the omission of a story is gained back by the crazy beats and much more energetic flow. The jazz and soul aesthetics also breathe life into this album, not that it really needs more.

This album was 78 minutes and felt much shorter than that. It ends with 8 minutes of pointless banter and even this stupid dialogue seems shorter than it is. A damn good album, one that I wonder how my opinion will change over time.

Best Track: u
Rating: 9/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 03-17-2015 at 10:15 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote