View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #63
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: ATTN: FFRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Yeah money is an issue. Being non-profit is an issue. But these would be mitigated if the community expectations were in line with what is actually happening.
Being non-profit has nothing to do with it. I haven't done it publicly, but I have explained that opening up FFR to contributors is what needs to happen. Look at any huge open source project on Github for example. They can add functionality rapidly because of their open nature.

Whether making parts of FFR the game and the website open source will actually solve the issue is something I don't think anybody can predict.

Quote:
I'll talk about the dev team and the simfile review process because that's what I know best. There's tons of shit going on behind the scenes. I'm sure you guys know the dev team have big goals- redesigning the homepage, new engine, raw scoring, the list goes on. I'm sure you guys also know that AJ quit being a game manager and left a leadership vacuum that Silvuh is doing his best to fill.
Here's the problem: new functionality isn't delivered quickly enough. You can have plans all you want but if you can't deliver them then it doesn't mean anything. The reason being is because FFR needs to be focusing on cleaning up the infrastructure. A lot of the website is still written in spaghetti legacy PHP and needs to be significantly cleaned up. By doing this, new functionality can actually be delivered in a timely manner.

Quote:
These changes go by slowly because, without throwing money at it, all the staff have other jobs and obligations that take priority over FFR. And so large periods of time go by where it feels like nothing is going on to the average user, but things are in fact actually happening. This is an area that can be improved- I talk a lot about increasing transparency, and I think it's the simplest first step to take and could even be fun for the staff if done well.

The suggestion of changing staff or adding more staff is more complicated than it appears. Throwing more people at the kinds of issues that need to be solved with dedication and care doesn't nessecarily deliver a better product. And replacing "lazy" staff has its own pitfalls. AJ is a great example of what happens when a staff member leaves (note that he certainly wasn't lazy). A gap in the structure like that takes time to fill properly. Cycling new staff constantly is just as disruptive as having lazy staff. With this in mind it's obvious that striking a balance between finding staff with the free time to no-life work on the site out of pure passion versus replacing people too quickly is difficult. It's an issue with the site since its start (Tass aside, he was his own issue) and it's not going to go away so long as we aren't throwing money at it.
These two paragraphs conflict each other. You claim that throwing people at the problem isn't going to fix it, but you also mention that staff has other obligations outside of FFR. This is a pretty obvious indication that FFR is understaffed.