View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #29
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: What is arrogance/humility, what is bragging, is it bad, and why?

I think this discussion is going to be difficult to have until we more clearly define certain cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
2. Arrogance is sometimes considered having a falsely high opinion of oneself, which would suggest it's only a problem if your opinion of yourself is false.
Outlining a few scenarios here:

1. Having an opinion of yourself that is "falsely high" because the assessment of the skill is out of sync with reality (e.g. thinking you're exceptionally good at benchpressing when you may just be slightly above average).

2. Having an opinion of yourself that's "falsely high" because the assessment of self is out of sync with reality, even though the skill is assessed accurately (e.g. because you can bench 450, you think this makes you a superior person to everyone else and gives you justification to brag and/or talk down to others).

3. Having an opinion of yourself that's "falsely high" because the assessment of self is out of sync with reality, as well as the skill (e.g. because you can bench 200... etc).

Scenario 1 I would say is not arrogant by itself. Falsely assessing your own skill says nothing about how you relay or impart that perception to others.

Scenarios 2 and 3 are much more arrogant because the individual is using their perceived skill level to justify treating others like shit.

You might ask "Isn't Scenario 3 more arrogant than Scenario 2 due to the false assessment of one's own skill?" I'd say it depends on personal preference. Some people really hate being insulted by those they can't outmatch, whereas others might hate being insulted by people who are full of hot air. Depends on one's sensitivity to, say, bullying vs. bullshitting, etc. I'm not using those terms rigorously here or anything, but just giving some first-order examples to illustrate that the underlying truth of the claim is more of an "adjustment" factor rather than a root driver of arrogance-perception itself.

I think someone who is a braggart is not necessarily arrogant (although they can be). They may just be very insecure or egocentric, which is still insufferable to be around because of the neediness.

Being an arrogant braggart is an even worse combination. It's like insulting the very people you're also demanding validation from.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 06-30-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote