View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #27
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default Re: What is arrogance/humility, what is bragging, is it bad, and why?

Arch's ideology, it appears to me, is that truth is the most important thing. To avoid talking about something, or to purposefully hide something or downplay it or whatever, means that you're hiding the truth, and it seems he has adopted the stance that hiding truth is somehow morally reprehensible. (I am unsure if this ideology is what he actually believes or if he's just trying to place context and further thinking of the last CT thread he started like a year ago, about sock-puppeting, but anyways...)

My take on this is that, again, truth is firstly, always hidden-unless it's something being thought about at that given point of time, that truth is, in a sense 'hidden'. In that way, bringing up something like your personal best bench-pressing record once is alright. But bringing it up until someone acknowledges to you 'yes, fuck, you're amazing at this' angrily, has angered someone. Someone can see a perspective or truth and not talk about it. Because, again, to constantly be reminded of one's failings causes mental health issues, is bad, etc. To be angry at people who are braggarts is probably more an innate defense mechanism that everyone has to a degree, to keep oneself emotionally/mentally in a healthy state of mind such that the person can function.
The only reason this would not be an issue is if the person is largely uninfluenced by events and people around them in the first place.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote